Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
The pandemic accelerated the trend of companies requiring or giving workers the option of using personal devices for work. It could be smartphones, tablets or laptops, and other devices. Often BYODs are used to support remote working.
And there are many advantages for businesses, including the following:
- Increased productivity as employees spend less time learning a new tech system
- A combined personal and work device is easier and more convenient for workers
- Reduced costs as staff provide their own devices and are also responsible for updates
However, there are also some disadvantages:
- There’s an increased risk of data leaks or privacy breaches if an employee loses their device
- Overseeing and maintaining data security becomes increasingly complex the more devices there are
- Increased vulnerability to cyberattacks from an employee’s device accessing the organization’s gateway
- Communication problems if customers or clients call a former worker on their personal number
Employers that allow BYOD arrangements often have policies to address the potential issues.