According to Microsoft, over 200k organizations use Sharepoint, and there are some great reasons to do so: –
- SharePoint is highly customizable and can be tailored to meet specific business needs. It integrates well with other Microsoft tools like Office365, allowing seamless integration with Microsoft’s other applications.
- SharePoint offers robust document management capabilities, including version control and check-in/check-out. It can help organize and centralize documents, making finding and accessing necessary information easier.
- SharePoint also provides a platform for collaboration and communication. It offers document sharing, discussion boards, team sites, and real-time co-authoring, enabling employees to work together efficiently.
However, SharePoint is mainly used by larger organizations; these companies are more likely to have the resources to manage the complexity, undertake the training, and have money to customize it.
Here are the main reasons why, even though Sharepoint comes in most Office365 subscriptions, companies don’t use it for their intranet: –
- SharePoint is complex to set up, configure, and manage, particularly for businesses without dedicated IT staff or technical expertise. The platform requires time and resources to customize and train employees.
- Licensing SharePoint and associated Office365 plans might be too costly for some businesses.
- SharePoint is designed to meet the needs of large organizations with extensive collaboration and document management requirements. For many businesses, the features and capabilities provided by SharePoint are more than they need, leading to unnecessary complexity and overhead.
- Many businesses have limited IT resources and must rely on external IT support or managed service providers. Implementing and maintaining SharePoint requires dedicated IT staff or external consultants, which are costly and challenging for businesses with limited IT capabilities.
- SharePoint’s feature-rich nature and complexity introduce challenges in user adoption, especially if employees are unfamiliar with the platform. Small businesses should carefully consider their employees’ technological proficiency and the potential need for extensive training and support to ensure successful user adoption.
- Implementing SharePoint requires planning, customizing, and migrating existing data and workflows. Implementing these workflows is often time-consuming and disruptive to ongoing operations.
There are alternative intranet products that offer the benefits of Sharepoint while reducing the downsides. MyHub is one of these.
MyHub is a feature-rich cloud-based intranet solution that delivers many of the benefits of SharePoint without the downsides. MyHub is better suited to the needs of a range of businesses looking for an intranet to communicate and engage with their employees. So what advantages does MyHub offer: –
- A user experience focused on enabling non-IT users to share documents and information quickly and easily.
- An intranet that helps users find the information they need quickly, whether they are in the office, working from home or mobile.
- A cloud-based solution that needs low or no involvement from IT to implement, support and manage.
- Get support directly from the MyHub team who know and understand the challenges of implementing an intranet.
- A complete feature set, with all features designed for sharing and engaging employees across an organization, no matter where they are. This feature set includes newsfeeds, staff directories, file sharing, newsletters, notifications, forms, automated workflows, surveys and quizzes, amongst others.
- Can operate as an intranet, extranet, and website.
- Simple pricing where you get all features no matter the plan you purchase. Pricing is based on the number of employees you have.
- Integrations across all essential apps and IT systems, including, Office365, Google G-suite and Workspace, Salesforce, Canva, YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox, and Box.
It’s essential that any business thoroughly reviews its specific needs and the resources they have before deciding whether any solution is the right for them. At MyHub, we are happy to have this discussion with you.