Office Intranet Benefits
The benefits of having an office intranet are well accepted and online intranet templates mean that the world of intranets is now accessible to even the most non-technical of us.
If you want to get ahead, enjoy new challenges and have a creative flair, then why not let unleash your imagination by utilising an intranet template. The advantages it will bring to your organization and your career are many as we shall find out in this article.
Why Introduce An Intranet Platform?
Much research has been conducted into the business advantages to be achieved through office intranet platforms. These include the following:
- increased workforce productivity
- improved team integration and collaboration
- ease of communication
- less time spent on sourcing and updating organisational information.
The return on investment for your company is, therefore, obvious. A more productive and efficient workforce will improve the company’s bottom line and will help you to maintain a competitive edge.
Now that you’ve convinced your organization of the need for an office intranet, how do you go about selecting an intranet platform?
Which Intranet Platform?
There are basically two choices:
- A do-it-yourself version that will be hosted on the company server.
- An online cloud-based system. Within this choice are two further possibilities:
- Downloading software such as WordPress or Drupal that will enable you to create an intranet.
- A hosted online cms intranet where intranet templates are already provided for you.
There are other disadvantages as well. Hosting the intranet on the company server means that you will be responsible for all ongoing security, management and maintenance. Once again, this represents a considerable company investment in terms of time and resources.
Online Intranet Using Downloaded Software
This may seem like a more straightforward solution and in many ways it is, but there are some disadvantages you need to be aware of. The main one is that the core template is often quite limited in its functionality. You will find that you need to supplement the core offering with plugins or additional modules. WordPress alone has some 40,000 plugins available. So what may at first have looked like a straightforward process could quickly morph into something much more convoluted.
Hosted Online Intranet Templates
Hosted online intranets offer all the functionality and key features without some of the weaknesses apparent in other platforms. The main advantage is that everything is on one platform: there is no need to download software or additional plugins or modules. All the business tools that you will need are there in one place. These will include the following:
- Company Calendar
- Staff Directory
- Advanced search capabilities
- Collaborative workspaces
- Document management systems
- News feeds and blogs
- E-learning management systems
- Social intranet.
Some online hosted solutions come with an easy to set, simple step by step wizard. You can choose from a range of powerful modules and template pages so that you can develop the site to suit your business requirements. The possibilities are almost endless.
Use Your Imagination!
You can add an unlimited number of pages and sub-pages and with an easy to follow drag and drop page builder; you really can let your creative flair and imagination run wild!
Customization options allow you to include your company colors as well as preferred company fonts and styling, logos, and branding. You could develop the company intranet to mimic the public internet site, or you can go for something entirely different.
With a few easy clicks, you can add and edit text, images, videos and files to create something that is truly unique.
Why not make it entertaining and engaging for staff by including quizzes, surveys or company polls. Include a social intranet as well with user profiles and biographies, individual activity walls and messaging features.
Online intranet templates really do offer a host of possibilities and are quick and easy to implement. This means that your office intranet can go live with your company reaping the rewards in a just a few short hours.
What Are The Advantages To Me?
You will immediately begin to feel the benefits of an office intranet in an easier and more productive work life. Some of the types of advantages for marketing departments that can be seen are as follows:
- Sourcing information from marketing, for instance, that once might have taken several phone calls or emails now takes just a few clicks of the mouse as you quickly and easily find it on the intranet.
- Locating the extension number for Paul in Sales is much easier with the intranet’s searchable staff directory. Including photos of staff members is an added bonus as you can put a face to the name and can acknowledge Paul when you bump into him in the elevator.
- Keeping up to date with key events and deadlines is much simpler with the company calendar. Instead of searching through several different emails to find that all-important deadline, you will be able to refer to the company calendar as the central repository for all such information.
These are just a few examples of how intranet platforms can positively affect your working life. Another less tangible but no less important benefit is the impact implementing intranet templates will have on your career. Taking a lead, showing initiative and delivering on projects are all very important career attributes. Introducing an intranet template into the office will really showcase your talents and abilities on your resume. In short, it will make you more attractive to employers and will set you apart from the competition.
Find Out More
If you’re interested in finding out more about how intranet templates can improve business while enhancing your career prospects, then contact us at for a no obligation free demo or just give it a try for free.